Sunday, September 16, 2007

Crossing the Bay Bridge

Ok let's be honest ... what trip of mine would be complete without some kind of random experience? On the way home from the triathlon, just before we were about to cross the Bay Bridge, Tyler and I stopped at a gas station to go to the bathroom and to get drinks, etc. As we were walking back to his car, we saw a couple who was parked a little ways away from us. The man (probably 55 or 60 years old) started talking to us, as he was pulling money out of his wallet. We were confused at first, thinking maybe he wanted change or something. Then he said something along the lines of "This is an unusual request, but is there any way that I could pay you to drive us across the bridge - I am afraid of heights and my girlfriend doesn't drive a stick-shift?" They used to have a service that you could pay for someone to drive you across the bridge but apparently they stopped doing that, and he was going to wait for a truck driver or someone to ask, but when he saw us, he thought we looked nice and thought he'd ask.

Um ... ok ... we talked to him for a minute or so and then he said "I feel good about you, I think this is a good idea" and so we concurred. He kept trying to give Tyler money for the trouble, but he wouldn't take it. He asked if that would be ok, and we figured that Tyler would drive them, I would drive Tyler's car and follow them, and then we'd just pull off at the first exit after the bridge. The man asked if his girlfriend shoudl come with me, but that wasn't really necessary. So off we went, Tyler to their car, and I got in Tyler's car and adjusted the seats and everything so I could safely drive, and we were off. As we were pulling out, I realized that Tyler's cell phone was still in the car with me, so I really hoped nothing happened since I now had no way to communicate with him!

We crossed the bridge just fine, and then passed the exit ... um, I thought we were pulling off now? I guess not. Of course I start thinking of the worst possible thing when we pass the park exit next, and wonder when they will pull over and what I would do if they didn't. ha ha of course that wasn't a problem and within seconds, Tyler signaled and we pulled off to the shoulder of the road and he and I traded places in his car, and waved as we passed the nice couple as we passed them again. So very random!! Tyler said he was the nicest guy, talking the whole time, thanking him profusely for doing that. He gets really tense, almost to the point of passing out (which we all know is not a good thing, especially while driving!!) - he was fine in the car if he wasn't driving, but he just can't handle driving across long bridges. What an adventure ... that was definitely something neither Tyler nor I thought would happen on our return trip! But it does make for a good story (at least I think so)! :)

1 comment:

lrbodine said...

That's hilarious to me. I don't think it's ever crossed my mind that people would be scared to drive across a bridge.