Sunday, September 30, 2007

The 9:30 Club

I am not a 'club girl.' But there is a club in DC called the 9:30 Club that I have always wanted to go to. Why? For no reason other than the fact that because my birthday is 9/30. Yeah, I'm a dork. I'll admit it. I thought it would be fun to go on my actual birthday, but since its on a Sunday this year, that wasn't an option. I checked the schedule a few weeks ago and learned that Brandi Carlile was coming on Friday. I have loved her music ever since her music video to "The Story" debuted on Grey's Anatomy last season. So, I decided that a girl's night was in order. Then Russ decided to come with us - which ended up being a great thing since we weren't mistaken for some of the (many) lesbian girls at the concert!

A group called "A Fine Frenzy" opened the show - Alison Sudol is only 22 years old. She has an amazing voice. She is very young and didn't really do so well with the whole talking in between songs - she was really nervous and was kind of giddy, but it was funny. In between sets, she was in the back meeting people, and I'd made a joke about going to meet her. Well, what else were we going to do? So Russ, Sharyn, and I went and waited in line. We met her and she was so cute - very happy and genuine (or at least she did a good job of tricking me)! She signed a little program "Shanna, happy happy birthday!!! Hurrah for you!! xo" ha ha, and then, of course, we had to take a picture -Then Brandi Carlile was on stage. She was awesome! She played for almost 2 hours. I didn't think it would last nearly that long - and her encore set was almost as long as her first one! She did most of her popular songs and then in the encore did some fun stuff, like Johnny Cash, and a really cool unplugged song. It was a great night, despite standing in 4 inch heels the whole time (my only hope of being able to see anything on stage!!) and trying not to notice all the PDA going on around us...
Hooray for the 9:30 Club, incredible music, and great friends to share it all with!

2 comments:

Anne said...

Happy Birthday Shanna!!!

lrbodine said...

Cute outfit! Where did you get that shirt?