Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Soup Nazi

Ok so I'm not going to yell "no soup for you!" like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld, but I sort of feel like I'm going to get that name since over the last two days I've managed to make four different kinds of soup and freeze it in quart-size ziplock baggies so that I can have some ready-made meals for the next month. I'm not sure why I got the sudden urge to pre-cook meals, but I'm sort of hoping it will take some of the guesswork out of figuring out "what's for dinner." (or lunch...)

The thing I hate about cooking is that I can't make anything for one person - hence the fact that my freezer is full of 20+ baggies of frozen soup. I'm hoping that if I eat one kind each day, I won't get so sick of it like I do when I make something and then have the same leftovers every day of the week ... I guess this time its just having the same leftover every day of the month. So we'll see how this goes. I'm a little bit afraid that its going to do something funky when I defrost it and then all my hard work is going to go to waste. I hope that's not the case! So, Taco Soup, Tomato Basil Parmesean, Chicken & Wild Rice, or White Chicken Chili - which one should I eat first? ha ha

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I have had frozen soup before, and it is just fine. Just remember to defrost it-you know put it in the fridge the day before-so it is in liquid form when you want to heat it up, or else it takes awhile to defrost in the microwave. Enjoy!

lrbodine said...

I've never had a problem with freezing soup and reheating it. You should be fine! But like Sarah mentioned - it's a lot easier to defrost first.

Megan Andrea said...

can i have the recipe for tomato basil parmesan soup??

JTA said...

So, I did that same thing. But then when it's time for dinner, I never feel like soup, so we end up getting take out. I bet yours will taste better than mine did though. Bon appetite!