Thursday, September 25, 2008

New Jeans and European Hemming

Two pieces of exciting news today that I just can't manage to keep to myself ... thanks to Heidi's tips on Paula's blog (and to Lachelle for directing me there), I took a little trip to Kohl's after work and found myself a pair of Seven jeans on sale for $39.99. Now, that's a great deal for a pair of jeans.

What's the problem with every pair of jeans though? (and every other pair of pants for that matter) For me anyway, it is that they are always, always, always too LONG. Unless you get the "ankle length" ones, which are perfect - until you wash them one time. Honestly - one time? I don't think so. Last year when I was home for Christmas, my mom told me about the "European" way of hemming jeans that my brother Matt told her about (to complement his obsession with designer jeans that he buys on eBay). Basically, the original hem stays in place, and you shorten them without cutting, and without creating that less-than-appealing "homemade" hem line at the bottom of your jeans. No matter how hard you try, you can just NEVER hem up a pair of jeans to make them look even remotely close to the originals. I've even had them professionally done and been disappointed. The thread is never thick enough, the bottoms are never worn enough, and it just looks downright silly. But, that's the price you pay for being short, right? Wrong! At least not now.

I'd seen the website, I'd looked at the pictures, I'd read about it, and it was confusing to a non-seamstress such as myself. But tonight, I was determined. Determined to make my new jeans the right length, without sacrificing the existing hem line. And guess what? I did it! With the help of my zipper presser foot, and an extra needle (I broke one going over the side seams, which are really thick), I now have a brand new pair of jeans that actually are the right length, and don't have a cheesy hem line. And keep in mind, I am not a fantastic seamstress by any means. Want to try (you should)?! Check out this website for the simple version ... or this one for the more detailed explanation. Both have pictures, which really help to figure it out. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Christina said...

So funny, I always think every pair is too short!!

heidi said...

YEAH!!! i am so glad that you:
a- found jeans you like
b- at a great price
c- acquired a new skill!!! now your can teach an enrichment night class on how to properly hem your jeans. you can call it, "shanna teaches you to "keep original"(as tim gunn calls it)

Paula said...

we have the same problem with jeans and pants, I have to hem everything. I love this new way of hemming so I don't look like are dork or have to pay someone to hem them every time I buy a new pair of pants.

Nikki said...

That is so cool! Does it really look good? Will you post a picture of your finished product? I'd LOVE to see it. Do you think Kohl's still has those jeans for sale? What a find!

Lila said...

Congratulations Shanna!!! Now you can start your obsession at looking even better and better. It all starts with a nice pair of sevens, next thing you know you will be buying Taverniti, Diesel, PRPS, D Squared, G-Star, etc...

love your denim whore of a brother,

matt