Last night I went with some friends to Charlottesville, VA for the University of Virginia vs. Maryland football game. I haven't been to a college football game in a long time, and it was lots of fun. Despite UVA's less-than-stellar football team, they managed to beat Maryland 31-0!
Its always entertaining to be at another college campus and see the quirks of their fans.
One of our favorites: the school song that they sang after touchdowns, "The Good Old Song," followed by their chant - not just a regular "rah rah" chant, but this:
WAHOOWA, WAHOOWA
UNI-V, VIR-GIN-I-A
HOO-RAH-RAY, HOO-RAH-RAY
RAY! RAY! U-V-A!
The problem was that they did it so fast that we could hardly understand what they were saying, much less follow along! Entertainment, for sure.
I'd heard rumors of the "preppy" style of UVA students, but I didn't quite grasp the scale of it until we were there. Honestly, it was like J.Crew had a store on campus somewhere! During halftime, we walked around and I snapped a few pictures of unsuspecting fans ...
First, the bow tie ensemble:
Next, the classic "preppy" look, sweater over the shoulders ...
Now on to the student section ... this seemed to be the classic look of many of the UVA co-eds ... khaki shorts, blue or white shirt (or lots of gingham and pinstripes), an orange and blue diagonal striped tie, with a sportcoat ... (love the Boston Red Sox hat!)
Here's a more casual version of the same thing ... hat backwards, sleeves rolled up, and seersucker shorts:
And the dressy version ... full on suit.
I guess the moral of the story is that UVA exudes preppiness. J.Crew, take a look. Never discontinue orange chinos, because UVA Alumni apparently still wear them. We even saw khaki pants with tennis racquets embroidered on them. You would be hard-pressed to see anyone at BYU wearing that kind of ensemble! Either way, there's not a much better way to spend a Saturday night than at a college football game!
Sunday, October 5, 2008
UVA-Maryland Football Game
Posted by
Shanna
at
5.10.08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow! I mean, WOW! LOL.
i heart uva!
Based on the school dress code (I had NO idea) in retrospect, I probably should have gone here...
wearing suits to a game???? how bizzare! good thing i didn't go to uva!
That SO would not have flown at BYU. All WE need is a white Hanes t-shirt and a felt-tip marker so we can write "Abercrombie and Fitch" on the front...ah, memories.
Post a Comment