I wouldn't usually post something like this but maybe its the delusion that I was trapped in at the Post Office tonight. Yeah, there is a post office here that stays open until 9, and I had to pick something up that the mailman tried delivering on Saturday but I wasn't home (or didn't hear the door for...) so I had to take the lovely notice to the post office and pick up my package. Luckily for me, I also had to mail my cousin's Christmas present, so I figured I could take care of it all at once.
I got there about 8pm, and knew I was in trouble when I had to wait for a parking place. And then I saw the line inside. Luckily, the line was just for the do-it-yourself machine. So I walked up to the take a number stand and took a number - 08. And then I noticed what number they were "currently serving" - 66. Yeah, I'd be there for awhile. A 45 minute while. Thank goodness for the bench that two other funny ladies and I were able to share while we waited.

About 10 minutes before my number was finally called, this girl walked right in front of us, pushing about 6 boxes with her feet that were covered by her pink terry-cloth pants that were pulled over her shoes and still hanging about 8 more inches on the floor. She plopped herself down right in front of us and proceeded to continue her telephone conversation, while she dropped her big winter coat, hat, and purse on the floor. To complete the visual image of this girl - she couldn't have been more than 20 years old, had long frizzy hair (that though it looked like she hadn't brushed it in days surely couldn't have been the case since she had a hairbrush that looked like she'd had it since 1990 sticking out of her purse), wirey glasses, a blue sweater that looked straight off of the shelves of a bad thrift shop. and about 6 address labels that she was ready to put on with the roll of tape which was also in her purse.
Ok I am the meanest person ever. I love people watching. And this was people watching at its best. So her conversation went a little something like this ...
"What? You can't find her? You searched for her? She has to be listed! Let me spell her last name for you ... aahhhhh ... ok go to my email and look for the one that says 'you have one eBay item # blah blah' and her address should be in there ... ok you got it, what is it? (she then wrote it down on the address label) ... ok I will call you later and tell you everything else, but thank you! I love you so much, I don't know what I would do without you, I think you just saved my eBay career ... up until this point I have 100% positive feedback and I would just die if that got ruined!!"
Wow. She then proceeded to address and tape up the rest of her boxes while she waited for her number (which I'm pretty sure was right after mine). The two ladies I was sharing a bench with and I were trying not to laugh or look at each other, it was just such a sight to see. Luckily for me, I had been oon and off my phone, texing people, throughout this whole experience, so it wasn't odd when I got my phone out and (after turning it on silent of course), proceeded to take a few pictures of her.
This is our little friend digging in her purse for her tape, I think ... if you look closely you can see the purple brush sticking out.

Good for her that she had no qualms about plopping down on the floor there. I do not think this is her first visit to the Post Office for eBay.

We were a little afraid for this box on top since it was in really bad shape when she drop-kicked it into the Post Office. But lucky for her, she had tape to take care of everything!

I think this is my personal favorite, which I didn't get a good shot of. It caught me totally off guard because it was so RANDOM. Just after she finished packaging everything up and before she was called up to the counter, she reaches into her purse again and pulls out perfume and proceeds to spray herself all over with this perfume (which I'm pretty sure was an old Victoria's Secret perfume that has long since been discontinued - it smelled like the old Amber Romance). WOW. I so wish I would have gotten a better, less blurry picture of that one!

I'm pretty sure I coughed as I walked passed her since the stench was so strong! Honestly, what about perfume do people not understand ... one MAYBE two sprays is more than enough!! You don't need to spray the whole bottle. Anyway, as I waited for my turn, all of a sudden she says to me "oh my gosh your shoes are so cute!!" Ok. I was wearing these maroon ballet flats with some maroon corduroy pants - which she noticed very quickly and then proceeded to ask me if I'd bought the shoes first or the pants first and then how in the world did I match them up because they were like a perfect match and she just couldn't believe that. I told her I didn't even know they matched. Crazy eBay girl was trying to strike up a conversation with me! Just then though, "Number 8" was called and I was off to the counter to be helped. Finally!
I couldn't help but take one final picture on my way out though ... I think she was pulling her hair into a ponytail here, at least that's what I'm hoping she is doing.
And I hope that this is the last of my crazy eBay Post Office experiences! I must say though, I got more than I bargained for when I walked into that building tonight. And I don't think I was the only one looking on ... at least I hope not! Next time you go to the post office, leave the perfume at home!!!!!
5 comments:
Gotta love the crazy people for their entertainment purposes! :)
Shanna, I was laughing the entire time I read that!! What a crazy girl! I bet that made the wretched 45 minute wait go by much faster though!
Shanna I laughed the entire time I read that. I love it that you sat there and just took pictures of a crazy ebay person! I bet she made your long wait more bearable though!
People watching is my absolute favorite past-time. I think it is hilarious that you took pictures of her to capture the moment!!!
Thank you for admitting that you people watch too! I love to people watch but would have never thought to take pictures! hehehe! How sneaky you are! Thanks for the laugh!!!
Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment