Sunday, April 15, 2007

Cherry Blossom Parade

Its April in Washington DC and that means the Cherry Blossoms are out. Well, they were out. We've had some crazy weather lately so the cherry blossoms didn't stay out for quite as long as they usually do this year, but that didn't stop the Cherry Blossom Festival from happening downtown.

The Tidal River basin near the Jefferson Memorial is lined with cherry blossom trees, and in peak season, they bring to life the words to "Popcorn Popping." The sweet smell of the blossoms and the beautiful sight of hundreds of trees are one of my favorite things about spring in Washington DC.

I went with Mary, Camille, and Milu yesterday morning to watch the Cherry Blossom Parade. I've lived in DC for 5 years and I have never been to the parade, and it was a great way to spend my Saturday morning. There were, of course, tons of people downtown, but that's all part of the experience! Japan brought the cherry blossom tree to Washington DC, so the Japanese tradition is very much a part of the Festival and Parade. Of course a parade is a parade, with all kinds of crazy floats, clowns, marching bands from all across the country, the Cherry Blossom Princesses and Queen, and even an American Idol finalist from last year (Ace Young).

We had fun taking it all in - everything from the Care Bear and giant dog floats to the nasty chicken on a stick to the always-entertaining people-watching! We spent a little time at the Japanese street festival for a little while after the parade, and then had yummy sandwiches at Potbelly before heading home to avoid the rain. There's never a dull moment around here!

3 comments:

lrbodine said...

Rob and I will really have to come out there during the spring and visit. It looks so beautiful! And you are making me crave Potbelly but there isn't one here.

Nicole said...

so i think the spring is an even prettier time than the fall...looks like i know where i'll be next spring!

Shanna said...

My Confession: I didn't actually take those pictures of the cherry blossoms, nor were they probably taken this year. I downloaded them from Google ... BUT it really IS that beautiful here in the Spring, I just didn't make it downtown myself to capture the moment this year before before the wind and rain and cold weather prematurely swiped the blossoms off the trees!