Thursday, February 15, 2007

Snow & Ice Storms

Who knew that a seemingly small amount of snow could be so tricky?? Well ... after living in Virginia for four and a half years, I certainly know that it can be! This winter started out very mild - we had record high days in January and a week of 60's and 70's. But, that was too good to be true ... the last couple weeks haven't been above freezing, and with the windchill, its been in the single digits many mornings. I know, I know, I lived in Utah for ten years, but something about the East coast makes the cold just that much colder. It goes right through you because of the humidity in the air. It sure looks pretty on all the trees when it snows though!

The snow itself isn't the tricky part - but its when we have what they call "wintry mix" storms - freezing rain that turns to ice - it gets bad. Parking lots turn into ice skating rinks and if you don't shovel your steps like we didn't yesterday (when we got home from work it was completely frozen solid), this is what it looks like when you open the front door in the morning ...


Hold on to the railings or you'll slide right down the steps like I almost did last night when I was taking the garbage out! Its a losing battle because even if it starts to melt during the day, the minute the sun goes down and the temperature drops, everything re-freezes again.

Its kind of cool to walk on the snow and realize that you have left no pathway behind you since the snow is completely frozen underneath you. Makes all those days at the gym seem like they are paying off (ha ha) ... but then once you realize just how much weight it would take to smash that snow, it puts it all in perspective ... check out these pictures of my car ... if a car doesn't crush the snow underneath it, then I'd say its pretty frozen!! Its kind of hard to tell and looked better in person, but you'll get the idea. And no, I didn't just tilt my camera to take these :)

These are the days that I seriously reconsider my occupation ... not because I don't love my job, but because teachers here get all kinds of days off! There have only been two days of school this week ... and it didn't even snow last night! I guess it is kind of dangerous for buses to be treading the roads, but come on ... too bad all the kids that are out of school can't even play in it since its completely frozen. But at least now we have some snow on the ground ... if its going to be this cold outside, we might as well have something to show for it!!

1 comment:

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

Don't you just love living in a place where school actually gets cancelled?! I can't believe all that snow. Please, please, please can you make sure it's gone by March 6-9? Thanks! :-)