Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Sky is Falling!

Henny Penny will always have a new meaning in my life. Sometimes the sky really does fall. Or, trees from the sky I should say.

Last night Jenny and I were driving to a friend's house for a birthday bbq. Lawyers Road is a windy road, but nothing out of the ordinary for Virginia. Pretty, isn't it?Pretty until I tell you that the tree laying on the side of the road attacked my car a few minutes earlier! We'd had a huge thunderstorm about an hour before we left, but now it wasn't raining, and it wasn't even windy. Literally out of nowhere, a tree fell on top of my car. It all happened so fast that I don't remember seeing it coming (not that I know how anyone could have, it was seriously a split second), nor did I really have any reaction time to freak out. So, I didn't even slam on my brakes or anything, but I just kept driving. That instinct could have very well saved me from causing an accident, since there were two or three cars behind me. Oh, but now there was a tree blocking the road. I pulled off onto the next block, tried to slow my now pounding heart a little, and we got out to assess the damage.

Another car behind us had already moved the tree from the road, and that was that. Later when we went back, I honestly couldn't even tell where the tree had fallen from. It didn't look as big as it felt as it hit my car (and no it didn't break in half when it hit my car, but when the person had to move it out of the middle of the road, at least I think that's what happened..,), but that doesn't take anything away from the damage it did - and you can see exactly how big it was by the dent in the roof of my car.I have no doubt that there was Someone looking out for us though - the tree literally hit my car in the small space between the windshield and the sunroof. It must have bounced off right away because it didn't hit anywhere else on my car. I wish I could have seen a video of this (then again maybe some things are better left unseen).A couple of inches in either direction and it would have hit glass, and I don't even want to think about what could have happened then! As it was though, we were completely ok. My car, on the other hand, came away with a few scratches ... You can see just how close to the sunroof it came in this picture -Yes, my car is dented in, but both Jenny and I were fine (other than the fact that my back is hurting today) and it does kind of make a good story.I called my insurance right away, and I have an appointment on Tueday morning to get the damages appraised at a body shop. And so the fun begins ...

9 comments:

The Wylers said...

Sometimes I cannot believe the things that happen to you!!! I am SO glad you and your friend are okay. Too bad for your car though. Good luck with all that insurance crap. Take it easy and give your back a chance to rest from this.

Nicole said...

that road is really pretty...but seriously not fair that a branch broke so long after the stinking storm. that's crazy...i'm so sorry lady. i miss you and i need to call you so we can actually chat!!! love ya lady

Jared and Adrianne Blake said...

Sorry to hear about your luck! Glad you are okay...

Kristy said...

What a life of randomness you have!! I remember the comment I got the most from people when I told them I got my mission call to Virginia was, "there are a lot of trees there." Huh. I thought that was a weird comment, but WHATEVER. Then I got there and yeah...they were right! ANd I think there are too MANY trees! So many that they fall over whenever there is a storm or a hurricane, or wind! This was always happening when I was there, it is just CRAZY that one happened to land on your car WHILE you were driving!! What a story! I'm glad you are ok. Good luck with all the repairs. hopefully it won't be too big of a pain.

Globe Trecker said...

What a random thing to have happen! What are the chances?

Kristin and Kurt Bryant said...

Only you Shan, only you...

jaordyna said...

Yikes! That's pretty funny that you just kept driving. I would've done the same. You always have something interesting going on, don't you?

M. Foster said...

hello....it's been a long time since you've posted....

Sydney said...

Hi my dear. I know I live only 30 minutes from you, but it has been forever since I've seen you. I need updates!! Maybe one of these day's I'll make it to institute and you will be there too!

Love you!