Sunday, April 5, 2009

Round 2: Greensboro

Saturday, March 21: Luckily for us, the games in Greensboro weren't slated to begin until 5:45p on Saturday night, so we didn't have to wake up at the crack of dawn and start driving. We took our time and arrived in Greensboro late afternoon-ish to meet Sharyn's brother at a little sports bar/pizza place for dinner before heading to the Coliseum. One thing is for sure: Greensboro is not a happening town. On the flip side, however, the Coliseum was incredible. UNC Tarheels fans dominated the entire arena. Light blue was everywhere. I haven't been to a sporting event that LOUD in a long time (ok the World Series was...!) and we loved every minute of it.

UNC-LSU was first. LSU kept the game a lot closer than I thought they would, but UNC dominated as the game went on. The crowd was electric, and we had so much fun. After the break, the Duke-Texas game begun. In my naivete, I was surprised how few Duke fans exist. All the UNC fans turned anti-Duke for the second game, and cheered for the Longhorns. Despite their efforts, however, Duke prevailed in a closer-than-expected game. I was a little nervous at the end when Texas came within striking distance, but Duke held out and won the game (and kept my bracket alive).
Being in North Carolina for March Madness was phenemonal! Definitely something you just can't explain in words, and I'm so glad I was able to experience it. What was less than phenomonal was our estimation of how far Richmond was from Greensboro. Pulling in at 3am was not in our gameplan, but we survived.

No comments: